Tuesday, April 1, 2008

88 Minutes (advance review)



88 Minutes is a film I saw nothing on but while waiting in line for popcorn during the Hanna Montana madness (I was seeing The Eye) I saw the poster on the wall and thought it seemed interesting.

The premise of the film is simple. Al Pacino plays a psychologist who gets a phone call that says he will die in 88 minutes. So now he needs to connect the dots and figure out who this mad person is.

The film runs into a number of problems along the way. It constantly throws red herrings your way but it's resolved within minutes so it seems more like a time filler than anything else.

The movie also has actor problems. Not talent wise but without giving anything away you can't have a sort of well known person in a film for 5 seconds without some one in the world noticing...

To be frank about it all I was actually interested in what was happening until about the final third of the film. The big climax was more of a stutter and just did nothing for me. The twists while sort of creative I guess just don't do anything interesting.

The actors kind of feel like they are making their rounds and just want a pay check. I should have known something was wrong with this movie when it was released everywhere in the world in early 2007 and doesn't hit theaters in the USA until April 18th and this review is being posted on February 3rd.... So this will be dated for it's release date but I'm posting it now. Just don't get your hopes up.

Entertainment Value - ** 1/2 / 5

Movie - **/ 5

No comments: