Monday, April 21, 2008

Prom Night

The original Prom Night use to creep me out for some reason back when it aired on basic tv every couple of weekends. I actually own it on dvd from the bargin bin at Wal*Mart. Hell, I was actually excited about this remake until I saw the PG13 rating.

Following my vow to never see pg13 horror films (J-remakes don't count) in the actual thater I have waited a little while to see this and avoided spoilers.

But that was stupid of me because the only spoilers are who dies. The killer is known from the start, the film starts a story line that it never explains and just jumps into the action.

Let's cover the cliches this film is able to give us.

A) Someone hides under a bed and sees someone die
B) Someone asks outloud " is that you?"
C) Someone trips
D) Someones shoe falls off

After that I kind of tuned the film out as it was annoying me. There is so little violence and gore that it's amazing this film was even released and I honestly can't think of the last pg13 slasher flick. Maybe Darkness Falls which also had zero blood but that was a film the studio butchered for a pg13 rating (if you listen to the dvd commentary anyway).

I really don't know what else to say about this. It isn't scary, it uses false noises to try and create jumps, the acting is pathetic, the killer is known from the get go and there is no blood and gore to even entertain us.

It's funny I say the things about blood, good and violence after seeing Funny Games which is a film that seems 100 times more violent than this but showed no actual violence on screen besides one shot.

Entertainment Value - 1/5

Movie - 1/2 / 5

No comments: