Friday, June 13, 2008

The Happening

I'm a huge M. Night Shyalaman fan. I've seen all of his films opening day and with that being said I've enjoyed all of them.

That is until I saw this film. I can sit here and say it's horrible but it isn't. It just fails to be anything worth while.

Plants are letting lose a chemical that is causing people to kill themselves. It's an inetresting idea and it is handled well. The film constantly throws an element at you, perhaps a reasoning for the attacks or whatever but in the end it just ignores it, throws away this one thread as if it never wanted to use it. Was there a suit involved in that decision?

But that wouldn't have saved the film as our fine cast some how provides one of the worst performances to hit the big screen in a long time. Think Book of Shadows bad. It's stiff and constantly wooden. No real emotion is shown.

It's a shame and the R rating seems tacked on to get people to see the film. Sure, it's a bit bloody and disturbing but I think a PG13 rating would have gone through without a problem.

All in all I can't recommend this film to anyone. maybe a dvd viewing if you're a fan but as far as a theatrical viewing goes, pass it over for something like The Hulk.

Entertainment Value - 2/5

Movie - 2/5

No comments: