Sunday, January 25, 2009

Frozen River

I never heard of this film until the Oscar nominations hit. So I'm going to judge a few areas based on those noms.The film follows a down on her luck white trash woman who ends up helping an Indian woman sneak people across the Canadian boarder into America.

That's the basic plot but it's more about the family side of things that hold the film together. The transporting is a side story to it all but ultimately the film only has one road to go down.

The main actress, whom I've never heard of (Melissa Leo), got an Oscar nomination for best actress in a film. She does a fine job in the film and I'm sure the scene they showed the academy is the cop lying scene around the mid-point. She looks guilty as hell while trying to quickly answer questions.

This same scene brings something else up though and that's the script. I can't blame the cops acting skills for this but the dialog here is so poorly written that I can't imagine why the film got a nomination for best original screenplay. Not only that but I can't say anything stuck with me outside of that scene and that scene stuck out due to the poor quality of it.

But with all of that being said it was still a pretty good movie. I was interested the whole time in what was going on and it's a story that hasn't been done in this way, that I know of at least (by that I mean the Indian's having the reservation, passports ect). I'd recommend it for anyone interested in it because it's worth a viewing.

Movie - 3.5/5

No comments: