Thursday, January 1, 2009

Wendy & Lucy (Limited Release)

Despite this being a new year this was a 2008 release so the review will be in this blog.

This was a film I never heard of. Honestly I passed it up all together. The cover looked ghetto and DTV but in reality it wasn't. I took notice when someone in Entertainment Weekly listed it in their top 10 best so I figured I'd have to give it a viewing.

What's amazing about this film is how solid it is all around. A woman is trying to get to Alaska to get a job. Her vehicle breaks down in Oregon, her dog goes missing and nothing is going right for her.

And yet she still goes on. She never gives up hope and the film some how makes this character feel real and all of those around her as well. I know we all don't do the best we can towards other people but some people do go above and beyond and this film shows that even the simplest act could go a long way for someone.

Michelle Williams gives a great performance as Wendy and it's easily one of her best but we all know she's a good actress otuside Dawson's Creek. I really do recommend this one, check it out. It would change your life, it won't thrill you with blood and guts but it's a simple story that just works.

Entertainment Value - 2/5

Movie - 4.5 /5

No comments: