Friday, January 9, 2009

Repo: Genetic Opera (limited theatrical release)

I saw a trailer for this a few months back and had to see the movie. But then it never came out near me and I was a sad movie goer. The producers promised a wider release if the soundtrack sold a lot but alas it's hard for a soundtrack to sell if no one hears of it.

Either way I have to say this is my favorite musical of 2008. It's also in my top 10 of 2008 but don't get too excited because it does have a few flaws. The films biggest flaw is the music itself.

It's good, don't get me wrong but the music is a bit over powering and the lyrics can be lost easily. The entire cast does a great job. Head is great as Repo and it's really nice how he changes on the fly between the father figure and the Repo Man. Alexa Vega sings her heart out and she's good, who knew the Spy Kids girl could kick so much ass. And then we have Paris Hilton. yes, that PH. Not only wasn't she recognizable but she does a good job with her musical numbers.

The plot of the film is simple. A girl is dying, her father keeps her locked away and a mystery man says he has the cure. Her father is the Repo man, a person who takes back body parts that others have signed a contract for but have failed to hold their end of the bargain up. It's an interesting premise with a stereotypical theme going but zany characters thrown in.

It's not Rocky Horror but it's damn close to being that kind of cult film. I highly recommend this one for when it hits dvd in a few weeks and I'll be picking up the bluray for sure.

Movie - 4/5

Recommend: Yes

No comments: