Friday, September 19, 2008

The Family That Preys

It's funny but I watched this five or so days ago and sat here for a few minutes wonder what movie I had seen. I find that Tyler Perry is either hit or miss. Loved his first two films but his later ones were very meh.

I thought the trailer for this looked half way decent. it could be a good movie but as I sat down to watch it the cynic inside me decided to rip it apart. How much from the film is given away in the trailer? Everything but the final five minutes.

I understand that you want to draw the audience to your film but to give everything away is why no one is seeing these films.

Not that there is really a valid reason to be seeing this one because frankly it isn't anything special. It's okay and it actually feels like two films in one. The slutty woman climbing her way to the top and the older white woman finding herself with the black folk.

It may sound racist but any film with a poster of a shadowed persons outline with a white hand choking it might be considered racist anyway. The film has none of that and instead if about a black woman sleeping her way to the top and the problems it causes all around for the families involved. Truth of the matter is that no one cares because we've seen this before.

Three strikes and you're out Mr. Perry. Can you woo me next time or is it game over for you?

Entertainment Value - 1/5

Movie - 1.5 /5

No comments: