Friday, September 19, 2008

Vicky Cristina Barcelona

I'm a recent Woody Allen fan. I haven't seen most of his older films but I've enjoyed all of his new ones. This is no exception either as I was hooked after the first two minutes. The first two minutes had me worried and then it all fell into place.

Two female best friends find themselves spending two weeks in Barcelona. One is engaged while the other is a lover of the bad boy. They meet an artist who offers to fly them to a remote island for a weekend and wants some sweet loving. They agree to come along but don't promise sex.

Actually, only Cristina wants to come along and Vicky just joins to keep her friend out of trouble. What many may consider to be predictable turns into something only Allen could pull off.

It's entertainment at it's maximum. The narrative is rich and colorful, bringing the characters to life and it's been a while since I've felt like the main characters in a filma re actually real. You like everyone, including Bardems character who isn't exactly the nicest guy around.

I really enjoyed the film, I think it's one of Allen's best film (that I've seen) and I would highly recommend it. Thus far it's easily in my top 10 of the year.

Entertainment Value - 4.5/ 5

Movie - 5/5

No comments: