Friday, September 19, 2008

Ghost Town

I love Ricky Gervaise. I've seen him live twice and enjoyed the show both times. I had to go see this and my crappy local theater didn't have it and I had just driven 45 minutes for VCB the day before but dammit I had to see this one.

Comedies this year have mostly been misses but I must say this was the best comedy of 2008 so far. The dialog is funny and delivered as only Gervaise can. He's a likable guy who says and does unlikeable things but lets face it, don't we all want to do or say what this character does?

After dying for 7 minutes and being brought back to life our hero finds that he can see dead people and they want something, mainly one whose wife lives in the same building as him. Problem is he Gervaise's character hates all people, living and dead so it's all about coming out of your comfort zone.

I enjoyed the film a lot. I found it funny (as did the audience, which is rare) and the hooting never seemed to end in the middle of the film. It's hard to imagine someone as average as Gervaise playing a love interest and yet it works because it isn't truly about that in the end.

Entertainment value - 5/5

Movie - 4.5 /5

No comments: