Thursday, February 21, 2008

Be Kind Rewind (advance review)



This film actually caught my eye after I viewed the trailer. it looked funny and the plot seemed good. So when I had the chance to see this a whole day before release I jumped on it.

Sadly it let me down like so many other films released so far in this lackluster year. The premise is a good one. Some guys work at a video store, one gets magnetized and erases all of the VHA tapes in the store. So they end up making their own 10 minute versions of the films and showing them.

I won't go on with the plot but it tends to bring up a few sub plots here and there and then never deal with them. Instead we get a rehash of the trailer and the funny bits from the trailer are still funny but nothing else in the film is.

It's a rather dry movie and maybe I was just expecting a lot more from the guy who brought us "Science of Sleep". The performances are half way decent but nothing Earth shattering and the films biggest problem is that if you don't know films like Robocop and Driving Miss Daisy than the humor may also fall on deaf ears.

It's not for everyone but it still stays with the theme of mediocrity that this years comedies have started. Maybe we'll get a good comedy at some point but right now I'd rather be doing something else.

Entertainment Value - 2/5

Movie - * 1/2 / 5

No comments: