Monday, February 4, 2008

Over Her Dead Body



The previews for Over Her Dead Body make me laugh. Not once but a lot. I don't know what it is about it but it's funny to me. To be fair though i haven't seen all of the other rom coms that deal with ghosts and stuff (unless you count Ghost which i have a true hatred of for unimportant reasons).

Anyway, Henry is having trouble dealing with the death of his wife to be who was crushed by an ice angel statue on their wedding day. His sister gives the dead fiancee's diary to a so called psychic and asks her to lie. So she does and ends up falling for Henry. Too bad the dead fiancee has come back as a ghost and haunts her lying ass.

It was actually a really funny movie. I laughed a lot and I love to laugh but lets face it, the comedies of 2008 so far have sucked. This isn't a smart comedy, it even has a long fart joke but dammit I just laughed and I may or may not have snorted during the farting scene, I'll never admit to either.

The cast is actually likable. Lake Bell plays the woman who is a liar and I thought the entire film that she was Debra Messing but she does a good job. Paul Rudd is someone I just find to be hysterical 95% of the time in anything he does so it's a welcome treat to have him star in a film for once. Then we have Eva Longoria who I don't like but she is just bitchy enough but it never gets annoying as some of her moments are actually very funny.

Not all is perfect though. Besides an odd twist near the end the film has a terrible final act. The dialog becomes atrocious and the acting plummets into crap territory. It actually becomes painful to watch because they just seem to be hating it.

So while not original and totally a chick flick rom com I must say I have to give this a mild recommendation. The perfect date movie and with a short run time of one hour and 17 minutes you won't have to suffer too long if you're the guy and hey, maybe you'll laugh like I did.

Entertainment Value - *** 1/2 / 5

Movie - 1/2 / 5

No comments: