Saturday, February 23, 2008

Vantage Point



Vantage Point was going to be my February savior. It was to make it all worth while. The terrible films given a meaning by the one truly awesome film for the month.

Okay, maybe I put too much faith into the film but it's kind of a let down but not in ways one would expect.

Tons of action? CHECK. Good acting? CHECK Lots of twists and turns? CHECK

So what's the problem? Well imagine watching the same 8 minutes over and over (or better yet, view the trailer for those 8 minutes smudged together) and then imagine the finale which is about twenty minutes.

Sure each persons 8 minutes is different but with common moments. The problem is that it feels a bit too disjointed and a bit too gimmicky to really work the magic one would hope for.

In case you haven't seen the bazillion trailers in the past 5 months then this film is about 8 points of view when the president is shot.

It's a cool idea but I can't help but feel a bit cheated out of it all. Yes we are getting a cohesive plot but again the gimmick wears thin and by the third or fourth person I was tired of it and just didn't care.

However I can't help but say this would make an excellent rental. It's worth a single viewing but I doubt I'll look back at the end of the year and say this was one of the best films of the year for it's genre. I'll most likely forget all about it as it just doesn't do it correctly, but it's close.

Entertainment Value - 3/5

Movie - *** / 5

No comments: