Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Charlie Bartlett (ADVANCE REVIEW)



A well off teen gets kicked out of school for selling fake ID's. He doesn't fit in at his new school but when he finds out that psychiatrists will give him prescriptions for a multitude of different "issues" he then sees a bigger business idea and sells them at school.

Charlie Bartlett is a dark comedy but it's also a coming of age tale. Think Juno, the male version minus the whole baby thing. It's a concept that has been tried before but I personally have never cared for it.

What we get here though is something that is smart and honest to god it's refreshing as well. The lead, Anton Yelchin, pulls off an amazing role and his energy just shines right through in this film (think of what Broderick brought to Ferris Bueller's Day Off) and while we never get raunchy the film just true to itself. I don't know what more you could ask for and really the energy from this kid is shocking.

I'm not a man of many words and I really don't know what else to say. Robert Downey Jr. delivers a great performance but so does the entire cast. The directing is solid, nothing seems like it doesn't belong and the movie flows. I was also hooked on this bad boy almost immediately and couldn't wait to see what would happen next.

When a film is released all over the world and a year passes before it hits the states I tend to get worried but I can honestly say that this is the best movie of 2008 so far and one that I highly recommend everyone check out.

Entertainment Value: 4/5

Movie: /5

No comments: