Friday, February 1, 2008

The Eye



I'm a huge fan of The Eye trilogy which is a set of Chinese films done by the Pang brothers (whose first American film was The Messengers). Sadly they don't direct this movie but judging by the trailer this film would maintain a close relationship with one of my favorite Asian horror flicks.

Well, the film started off badly for me. It had some random scare scene in the beginning and then we are introduced to Jessica Albas character. I must admit I'm not a fan of her but she plays the role of a blind girl rather well and in the later portions I really believed her so kudos to Alba for doing a grand job with this role.

The film is about a girl who has been blind since the age of 5 and she gets an eye transplant. She starts seeing horrifying images and she questions her own sanity. Is it all real or is she delusional?

Well, the film stays fairly close to the original but a few things were changed. The meat counter has been replaced which is a shame and the ending while loosely based on the original does have a few changes as well which I didn't find as effective as the original.

I had planned on rewatching the original being seeing this but I just didn't have the time. Needless to say I enjoyed this remake, it doesn't ruin the original film like say Pulse. I also must admit that the film features some rather creepy scenes and while my favorite scene isn't as chilling in this remake I must admit I was creeped out a few times but ghost stories do that to me.

Entertainment Value - *** 1/2 / 5

Movie - / 5

No comments: