Friday, January 18, 2008

Atonement (Bonus Review)



Atonement had intrigued me since the original trailer was shown but my enthusiasm for the film dropped when someone I know said it just wasn't all that good. In the end I forced myself to see it the night it won the Golden Globe for best picture (but I found out it won after I saw it).

The plot is simple. A young girl witnesses something and it confuses her so she ends up making a terrible mistake. It's a love story though but there's something about this film that is just amazing.

The cast does a terrific job of bringing the characters to life and the younger stars look a lot like their grown up counterparts which isn't always the case. But even those young stars give an amazing performance.

The film does have a few flaws though. The middle is almost like a war film. A boring one at that but it doesn't ruin the film, just slows it down a little and changes the pace. But once I saw the ending the film wouldn't be half as amazing without that middle. It just clicks and I was honestly blown away by the end.

My only other complaint is with the director himself. We see the events earl in the film through the girls eyes. Which works because we aren't given all of the details. But immediately after she sees these things it jumps to the truthful perspective so it kind of ruins the innocence of the character.

No matter how I look at this film I can't help but feel that it is very close to being the best film released in 2007. It's a shame that we didn't get it in 2007 but late is better than never. Atonement gets a very high recommendation from me and I'm actually about to start the novel because I liked it that much.

Entertainment - ****/5

Film - *****/5

No comments: