Friday, January 25, 2008

There Will Be Blood (Bonus Review)



Welcome to the best movie of 2007. Mr. Anderson isn't one of my favorite directors and to be honest I've hated all of his films except Boogie Nights. But then I saw this film and my faith in him is restored.

The trailers for this one left me feeling empty. I had no clue what it was about. Essentially it is about a man who finds places that have oil and is one of the best drillers around. He gets a tip about this farm that may hold a ton of oil. So when he buys the land he gets more than he bargained for from the religious freaks of the town.

But I can't tell you more as there is more and what I've told you is pretty much not what the film is about. I think the film is about madness and what causes it.

I love Daniel Day Lewis because he plays totally different characters all the time and I rarely recognize him in those roles. I saw this after he got nominated for the Oscar for this role so I sat there wondering what was so good about it (it's good, don't get me wrong).

But then the third act happened. He pulls out the best performance I have ever seen during three different scenes. I sat there in awe at what I was seeing. He isn't the only amazing actor, the guy who plays Eli Sunday. His preacher moments are flat out amazing and spark with energy.

The directing is solid, it offers some of the best performances of the year and the soundtrack is down right brilliant. Do yourself a favor and see this film. Support the movies that are amazing and not the same ole run of the mill garbage we are feed all the time. Be warned though, this film is enarly 2 and a half hours long but it flew by.

Entertainment Value: ***/ 5

Movie: *****/ 5

No comments: