Friday, January 18, 2008

The Kite Runner (Bonus Review)



Kite Runner was one of those books everyone kept recommending to me. By the time I finally was going to read it I heard the movie was on its way so I figured I'd rather see the movie first. However after seeing the film I have no real interest in the novel.

Don't get me wrong the story itself is rather good, if not simple. It does offer one surprising plot twist but besides that it really didn't do anything all that interesting.

My main problem though is with the main character when he is a child. He's this arrogant little asshat and the things he does during the film just annoyed me. My co-workers tell me it's handled better in the book, as it showed signs of regret but in the movie he comes off as a total jerk and just isn't likable.

Fair warning to those who are going to see the film, it is about 85% subtitled which set me back at first as I didn't really give it much though. It's fine though as I never had trouble reading the sub and it was natural after a while (unlike some other foreign language films).

The entire cast does a fine job and it's a beautiful film to watch (well, as much beauty as you can probably find over there) but I can't help but be annoyed by the main character. It almost ruined the entire movie for me but in the end the character redeems himself but we shouldn't hate this child.

Fans of the novel should give this film a go. It really is worth seeing and if you hate reading then see this movie (despite the subs) because it's a good story.

Entertainment Value - ****/ 5

Film - **** / 5

No comments: