Monday, January 28, 2008

The Great Debaters (Bonus Review)



The Great Debaters was a film that I had never heard of. Then out of no where there was a lot of Oscar buzz for the film. Denzel deserving an Oscar nomination for his role and Oprah claiming yet another soul in the world.

However I must say that I'm glad the film got no Oscar nominations because frankly it didn't deserve any. Denzel hams up the screen in what I consider to be one of his worst performances yet.

He takes what could be a typical role, one we've seen Mcdreamy do in Freedom Writers, and overact it to a point where he becomes annoying. Almost like that pompous ass you know who brings something to your party and hides it only to announce as he leaves that since no one drank it that he's going to just take it home then.

The film is about a group of African American debaters who end up going rather far in the world and their coach is Mr. Denzel Washington (who also directs and some how delivers nothing that is the least bit interesting to look at)

I wish I was being harsh but I'm not because this film is boring and unlike the films of this genre before it, it brings absolutely nothing new to the table so in the end we get one of the most boring underdog type stories to hit theaters in a while and with no originality to it I can't recommend this film at all.

Entertainment Value - 1/2 / 5

Movie - * / 5

No comments: