Friday, January 18, 2008

Cloverfield



What can a person say about Cloverfield that's new or the east bit original? It's the movie that haunted everyone for almost a year. What is Cloverfield. Once we found it that it was a monster flick it all came down to what the monster was.

What is it? I can't tell you. I would love to but it's one of the things that makes the film so chilling and indeed it is chilling. Maybe it's because I've been to New York many times and there's just something wrong about seeing the streets so desolate.

The film opens with a private look into the lives of two people. It then jumps to a party a month or so later. The guy we saw in the beginning is moving to Japan so his friends and family are throwing a party. During this party a few secrets come out and we learn to actually like these characters.

It's the key factor that makes this film work. All of the characters are likable and as it goes on you can't help but like them. They act like a normal person would. Even Hud the camera man is very likable and I think he's the one we care about the most.

The film is shot ala Blair Witch Project but it makes this all the more real. In a time where Youtube rules I couldn't help but feel that hey, maybe, just maybe this is all real.

Midway through the movie I felt my heart sink into my stomach. The monster has been shown and it looked nothing like the spoilers I had heard and seen. It looked wickedly cool but something else was forcing my heart into my stomach.

Something about this film works. I can't sit here and tell you what it is but this is my favorite movie of 2008 so far and I know it's only just started but I see this as this years Transformers.

Entertainment Value - *****/ 5

Film - *****/ 5

No comments: