Friday, January 18, 2008

One Missed Call



I saw the original Japanese version of One Missed Call almost a year ago. To be honest I just didn't see how this film would work as an American remake. They tend to be hit (The Ring) or miss (Pulse).

I'll admit it right here that I actually enjoyed this film. It's not exactly good per say but it had some entertainment value to it. See, the real problem with the film is that it tries to hard to be different but remain the same. Some things just don't work. None of these characters really think the thing is a joke once they get the call. None of them realize they are doing just as the call says and then they are dead and it just doesn't matter.

The final problem I had is the end of the movie. It tries to be original by changing the ending up but it's too American. Now I haven't seen the Japanese sequel but I doubt if it's opening plays out liek this ones ending.

I also read somewhere that the director of this film (whose French and should explain this well) didn't see the original film. On one hand I can see why one would want to do this but I think along the way he loses sight of the films message and instead we get another Dark Water on our hands where the small changes just don't cross over well.

Still, it's a mildly entertaining film. It's an alright date movie but the scares are minimal. Still, I've seen much worse come out so this is one of the better (if only slightly) remakes of a Japanese film to hit theaters in the past 3 years.

Entertainment Value - *** /5

Film - *** /5

No comments: