Friday, January 18, 2008

The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything: A Veggie Tales Movie



I actually enjoyed the original Veggie Tales movie (Jonah) despite it being all religious and be being the only member of NOR. So i was kind of excited to see this one and yet none of my friends were...

So while I felt a bit weird sitting in this film full of small children (ages 2-5) I must say they were pretty well behaved. Although near the end I was getting restless and a few of the kids were wandering their aisles.

The story is simple. A Prince is taken by an evil man in the 17th century so his sister sends an orb for help. Jump to the present day and Larry and his two friends work for a pirate themed dinner and a show place. They want to be in the show but the one is lazy, the one is scared of everything and the other is old. They end up fired and find the orb where they are sent back in time to save the prince. The plot is simple and for the first 30 minutes or so I was bored.

The film really isn't very funny like the other VT film was and to be honest it's weird that the tomato is nowhere to be seen in the movie itself. Also, the movie has very few musical numbers but the ones it does have are highly amusing. I like the lazy song.

It's a very family safe film but it has no religious overtones at all which surprised me but if my memory serves me right then I think the tv show was edited down to get rid of the religious tones as well so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I'd recommend this film to parents looking for a film to take their kids to for their first theater experience. The other kids and parents seem understanding and it seemed to hold their attention fairly well.

Entertainment Value - **/ 5

Film - ** 1/2 / 5

No comments: