Friday, August 1, 2008

Space Chimps

I broke down and saw this because it's been out for a week and is only showing on half a screen and I doubt I'll be able to get my hands on this film by any other means than paying to see it.

It's always a bad sign when I've never seen a preview for a film. I did play through the subpar video game though and I'll admit I was surprised that it was a movie based game.

Anyway, the film is about this spaceship that lands on a distant planet and an evil alien uses it to enslave the planet. Back on Earth NASA decides to send chimps into space as they aren't sure if humans will survive the wormhole the previous ship went into.

The humans find the grandson of the most famous space chimp ever and force him into space, even though he works in a circus. Frankly the plot is ass. It has throw away characters and the animation is some of the worst I've seen in a long time.

The alien planet is sickeningly bright and colorful with some of the worst alien designs I've ever seen. Not only that but rest of the movie looks like ass and the film has so many bad stereotypes that I can't imagine why the actors agreed to do it. The African American circus ringmaster was the most offense stereotype I think.

And yet I some how found myself laughing at this film. It wasn't exactly funny but it wasn't me laughing at how bad it is either. Kind of an in between I guess and thus I can't get it my original score of 0 but I kind of enjoyed it in a weird sort of way so...

Entertainment Value - 2/5

Movie - 1/5

No comments: