Thursday, December 25, 2008

Slumdog Millionaire

Boyle is a hit or miss director for me. I honestly don't think Trainspotting is that great of a film. But this film has been riding the hype train for a while but I'll admit to thinking nothing of it, due to it's name. Yes, I am one of those people.

I'll admit it still surprised me. The cinematography is beautiful at times (can't wait for a bluray release) and the acting, even from the kids is very good. At times it reminds me of City of God (another hyped film, but one I didn't care for).

Slumdog is about a guy who goes on the Indian version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire and he makes it to the 20 million question. They think he's cheated because no one has ever gotten that far, let alone a slumdog.

The film shows you that from the start but jumps back to show the tv show and how he knows these different answers. It all comes together is a very tight finale, reminiscent of Run Lola Run and it left me hooked, I had to find out what happens.

One of the few times where I will utter the words "shoe in for Oscar". Yes, it's that good. It's been a year of shit but this is always the time for the good dramas to come out. Highly recommend as a theatrical viewing if it's playing in your area.

Entertainment Value - 5/5

Movie - 5/5

No comments: