Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The Spirit

I like Frank Miller a lot. Sin City is awesome and 300 was solid. However I know nothing about The Spirit. With that being said I must admit to it being a major let down.

Before you attempt to hunt me down and kill me, let me explain. While the cinematography is sweet, but when isn't it awesome when FM is involved. The script itself is so random and campy that I just didn't get that impression from the trailer.

The guy in front of me obviously read the graphic novel because he was laughing his ass off. Which is what kept waking me from my slumber.

The dialog is either bland or too over the top. Scarlett Johanson's character calling someone a fart isn't exactly amusing or intelligent. I did love her character though. Sam Jackson hams up his character to where it's unbearable to watch him on screen and he has a huge role.

So if you're looking for campy fun then go see the Spirit but right now I can't recommend it beyond a rental. Maybe on a future watching I can appreciate it more but it felt more like a DTV movie than a theatrical release.

Entertainment value - 2.5 /5

Movie - 2.5/5

No comments: